16 January 2026

A Great Day for the Commonwealth

Tomorrow, Jan 17th, will be an historic day in Virginia.  The three state-wide elected officials will be sworn in.  As you may recall, the Democrats won these elections by decisive margins, despite pundit predictions of close races.  Earlier, on Wednesday, Jan 14th, the new legislature convened with Democratic majorities in both houses.  On Jan 1st, the New Chief Justice began her term of office (elected to the position by her fellow justices). All the major state offices will be occupied by racial minorities and/or women.

Hon. Abigail Spanberger, 75th Governor of Virginia & first woman governor of the Commonwealth 

 

 

 

 

 

Hon. Ghazala Hashmi, Lieutenant Governor of Virginia, emigrated as a child from India, she is the first Muslim elected to statewide office in the U.S.

Hon. Jay Jones, Attorney General of Virginia, the first black attorney general
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hon. Cleo Elaine Powell, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Virginia, the second woman and third black chief justice

 

 

 

 

 

 


How did all this happen? Overlay the map of Virginia's population density with a map of Gov. Spanberger's margin of victory: 

All of Virginia's population centers, which far outnumber the population of other parts of the state, are all heavily Democratic.

11 comments:

  1. Excellent news for Virginia but disappointing that the support isn’t spread throughout the state.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially wish Hon. Cleo Elaine Powell all the best in her new role because your beloved president will be gunning for her from Day 1 if she makes any judgement that he and his minions do not like. "Hoax!" I hear him crying though he and his gang are the biggest hoaxers of them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, for the same reason, I send similar wishes to Jay Jones.

      Delete
    2. Happily, there isn't very much a president can do about state officials, except badmouth them.

      Delete
  3. Well, at least Virginia is a sane place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I voted, I made a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even better is that 4 years ago, Republicans won all 3 and the House of Delegates--due to the utterly incompetent campaign of the Democratic nominee. At the midterms, the governor made a big and very public push to gain a majority in the state Senate... and lost the majority in the Delegates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm surprised that anyone wants to vote Republican anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really don't understand transatlantic politics. Ours is complicated (and toxic) enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Federal systems are never easy to understand, and all of them operate differently. Suffice to say that, right now, the good guys are winning in Virginia.

      Delete
  8. at last some 'hope' and good news. I hope they don't succumb.

    ReplyDelete