28 May 2026

Here Beginneth the Trip

Having survived the assassination attempt by an evil cartel of European microbes, I will now commence the travelog of Adventures & Wonders-2026. 
 
Let's start at the very beginning (🎶A very good place to start🎶 -- thanks Julie) with the ship and departure from Ft. Lauderdale. The ship was the latest design from Celebrity Cruises, and we were both curious to see its vaunted innovations. There was some nice stuff, admittedly, but the newer ships tend to leave me mostly cold. The promenade around the ship, where I spent a lot of time on the first trans-Atlantic crossing watching and listening to the sea in fascination and reading some ancient history, is being replaced by various modern gizmos and "fun" features. The decor is often garish and the public spaces, often filled with too-loud music, look more like a passé disco than a ship. Call me old fashioned, but if I'm on a ship, I want to feel like I'm on a ship. Anywho, enough rant. Here's what things looked like... 
The ship had a lounge/bar mounted to its side which gave nice views. It actually can move up and down, but conditions were such that the captain left it in place.
 
more ship
the largest art installation; don't quite know what I thought of it
there was, however, a lot of very good photography in the passageways
I took some artsy stuff myself 
it's sad to think someone thought the sign was necessary

5 comments:

  1. Your photos are so good! Celebrity was one of my clients years back. I did some cruising (for business... not THAT kind of business) and loved being on the sea but hated the ships. The questionable art installation sums it up for me. I’m assuming Celebrity didn’t actually believe passengers would think the glass cherries were edible. Someone like my mother might have thought it would look good in her purse. She had a red, black, gray, and white kitchen, and was regularly nicking things she thought would go well (although they were all smaller). The dance floor photo immediately made me uncomfortable but it’s nice to see the two guys dancing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curiously, red, black, gray, and white were the original colors for my remodeled bathroom; the walls were white, the floor was grey, the red and black were provide by the towels. Didn't work. I went the towels in the same grey as the floor. Looks fabulous that way-sooo Bauhausy.

      Delete
  2. I agree, I prefered the older designs. The weird mirrored art room, made me think, what a waste of space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you have recovered! That cruise ship doesn't appeal to me at all. So huge!
    But I'm not comfortable boating so that's my problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've done a cross channel ferry or two but that is the limit of my sea faring.

    ReplyDelete