07 March 2025

A Brief Musical Aside

Last evening we went to the NSO again, this time Bolero was on the menu. I’ve largely been kinda indifferent to the piece, and never heard it performed live. Wow!!! Live was a totally different experience from the recording. The sound was amazing, and WATCHING the orchestra play it was more fun than hearing it. The strings plucking in unison (doesn’t that sound intriguing) the various instruments taking the leads, it was positively hypnotic. I left feeling “so THAT was what Ravel was trying to achieve” Noseda's vigorously energetic and animated conducting, without a score, was a sight to behold. A great night!


7 comments:

  1. Would have loved to have experienced this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To paraphrase Herbert Blomstedt - music is made to be performed for people.

    Will Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though I believe there is evidence that cows and elephants also enjoy it. But that is neither here nor there.

      Delete
    2. Tip: Stay a good distance away from the elephants in the disco.

      Will Jay

      Delete