16 July 2025

Meanwehile, in DC...

They've finished the new entrance on the Mall side of the Air & Space Museum... 

 

8 comments:

  1. Is it just me, or does the portico remind anyone else of Saarinen's TWA terminal at JFK?

    Will Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, a lot. They are both inspired by wings, of course, but I think there was a fair amount of straight copying from the TWA. My jury is still out as to having such a curvy structure in front of a building that is basically a row of huge blocks... perhaps too jarring.

      Delete
    2. Yes. It is obviously an afterthought that was tacked on to the building later - perhaps the commission was a plum from 45 to a donor.

      Will Jay

      Delete
    3. It's been planned for quite a while now, I forget when the renovation of the museum started but it's been years and years...

      Delete
  2. Yep. We’re back to 1962 and the TWA terminal. It’s a pleasant shape, but it does nothing for the rest of the building, nor for me. It really looks like not much more than an awning. IMHO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it, but then, I'm a philistine who knows nothing about architectural style and design.

    ReplyDelete