04 December 2025

A Guide to the National Symphony

As you will have noticed by now (I think that might be a future perfect subjective, but what do I know) David and I are frequent attendees of the National Symphony Orchestra. It is indeed a delightful experience, so I thought I might share some pointers with you, a sort of "An Old Hamster's Guide to the Orchestra" if you will.
 
 When you've got 2 harps, a piano, and a celesta lined up, with a percussion section taking up the entire back wall, you know it's gonna be a fun night.
The guy with the white beard is almost always there, front row center. This is as dressed up as he gets. He clearly knows his stuff and follows avidly. We met his daughter one evening when we were sitting in front; she usually takes his seat if he's unable to attend.

The KC Shop is sporting some new graphics. The black & white is a graphic made from the KC's logo. The mugs are taken from a commission of paintings that were made for each of Beethoven's 9 symphonies. They were part of the NSO's performance and recording of the entire 9. A great set!


8 comments:

  1. I recognise that fellow in the front row! He's called Santa Claus and he'll be extra busy in the next few days with assistance from his favourite elves - Small David and Tiny James. They are mischievous little chaps but Santa has learnt to control them with the promise of treats if they behave themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Treats, I didn't know there would be treats! Photos from our favorite location, all the way forward overlooking the stage. I like the end seat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've ever heard a celesta played live in concert. I've been listening lately to Tchaikovsky's ballet suites so now I must play the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy again and specifically focus on the celesta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a unique sound, but it is hard to pick out.

      Delete
  4. You two have so much fun together.

    ReplyDelete