13 February 2025

Fun Facts to Know & Tell about ME!!!

  • I was born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio - and darned proud of it
  • Every school I attended, from 1st grade through to my PhD, was private and religiously affiliated; I have never attended a public school
  • I once avoided getting into a bar fight on the island of Santorini by singing the Canadian national anthem in French
  • I have 2 brothers; all 3 of us were history majors in college
  • I am the second doctorate in my family
  • Nearly all my genes, apparently, are native to a 63mi (1013km) long area of eastern Slovakia, from Kosiče, where my mother's family is from, to Nova Lubovna, where my father's family is from
  • I was a Benedictine monk for 13 years
  • I do not understand how to read music, nor do I understand how anyone is capable of doing so
  • I write with my right hand and eat with my left; it's called cross-dominance, or mixed-handedness and runs in my mother's side of the family

7 comments:

  1. Fascinating facts! I learned to read music when I was under the age of 8 and loved it and was so proud. For me it was totally visual. I saw the scales as art and could play anything on my recorder. I can’t remember a thing now. Were either of your parents students of history? Interesting that all three of you went that direction. I’d love to hear the rest of the Santorini story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I want to hear how the Canadian anthem sung in French saved the day too! How fascinating to have been a Benedictine monk! I knew a couple of Benedictine nuns who were lesbians -- one left the order and the other didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting facts!
    I went to a high school run by Benedictine nuns and monks. I think the monastery where the monks live is down to about 8 monks. Not many nuns left at their convent either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Benedictine monk - did you fall or were you pushed?

    Will Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think "Fall" would be an appropriate word...

      Delete