19 January 2007

Chapter the Twelfth:

Wherein we meet our friend... the platypus.


"Howdy!"

Our Dread and Sovereign Lord, The Hamster, has been quite busy of late in his alter-ego as a mild-mannered Classics professor at a major state university. So he asked me to fill in and entertain y'all for a while.

As some of you likely know, the fetching residence of WH and DG is populated by more than just a flock of some 90 penguins. (There sure are a lot of 'em!) Other creatures of wit, talent, and distinction also live here. There is a small flock of sheep, a dodo (from England), about 6 puffins (which being cliff-dwelling birds, roost atop a tall bookcase), a wombat, and few other odds and ends here and there.

How, may you ask, did we all end up here? Well, as you know DG and WH (and TR of course) do a fair amount of travelling to interesting places. Because they are persons of quality, they often hang out where creatures of quality such as ourselves may be found. I was "discovered" working at a souvenir shop in Washington, D.C. - Natural History Museum to be exact. I wanted more excitement than I could get in my little burrow by the stream "Down Under," and I figured America's capital was where the action was. Turned out getting a job wasn't easy. Had trouble working for the feds since I was still an Australian citizen. D.C. was fun, but it can get pricey, and souvenir shop wages don't amount to much -- especially if you're the merchandise.

So when WH and DG came by and saw me, and commented to one another that I looked like "their kind of critter," and that they were in the market for a companion for their wombat, who was getting a little homesick, I immediately took them up on their offer to whisk me away to a life of ease and luxury (with an enormous number of penguins).

So here I am, and that's also how most of the rest of us got here. I'll have to introduce you to Rodney, the wombat, sometime soon. He's a little camera shy. Until next time, all the best!

-- Lanfranc the Platypus

7 comments:

  1. If a little critter wanders into the flock and doesn't know her name, please name her Meritt. It's just such a pretty name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been checking for this . . .

    hee, hee

    ReplyDelete
  3. A pleasure to meet you Mr. Lanfranc.

    If you are ever in the NW, please feel free to stop by. As a friend of WH, DG, and TR you are always welcome.

    WC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meritt: Naming in your honor is a very real possibility. It's surprisingly easy to run out of good names, esp. since DG won;t let me use such grand and beautiful numbers like Leopoldina, Cunegunde, Chrodegang, etc. When we have your namesake, I'll be sure to post a pic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't drink Fosters do you? If so, we'll have to get you off the lager bus and onto the ale express.

    Squirrel

    ReplyDelete
  6. For the most part, platypi are genetically predisposed to cognac. I look a good Remy myself. Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete