Well, I've been retired for 7 years now. It feels longer than that, which is probably good since the next major life event is my inevitable demise. I started off in 2019 busily exploring DC, sorting out the public transportation, getting a feel for various parts of the city, etc. I also set all sorts of self-improving goals for myself, which only served as an exciting new way of beating myself up for not accomplishing them. I wrote about this in a previous post, but I'll be darned if I can find it.
Then came Covid, and the lock-down. We only went out to go food shopping or taking a walk outside where there weren't many people. This served to take the wind out of my sails. Once the pandemic died down, I lost the energy and interest to go out out and explore and do and all. I don't fully understand why; perhaps the homebody part of me took over. In either case, I found myself always busy with housework or some household improvement project (David trembles in terror when I say the word "improvement"). I then started to beat myself up for not going out while at the same time feeling trapped in endless things that "needed" to be done..
It took me what, like 3-4 years to finally shake that off and start doing things again. Much to my suprise, it simply became a matter of resolving to get out and do this or that and not allowing myself any excuses. It was extremely effective to ask David when he wanted to go out for lunch this week. A commitment made like that is very difficult for me not to honor. And so, with not much effort as it turns out, I started to go out.
If someone out there finds this helpful in some way, I'd be delirious.
Speaking of going out, cherry blossom peak is supposed toi be March 25-31.
I hadn’t thought about your retirement timing and Covid. Not a great time to try and make a major transition in life. I’m glad you feel like you’re getting active again. My family made an annual pilgrimage to D.C. every year at cherry blossom time. I will never lose my first memory of seeing it all in bloom on a sunny spring day. Breathtaking.
ReplyDeleteI make it a point to have some reason to get out of the house every day -- a class, an errand, visit with a friend, an appointment, an event, whatever. The day will come when we will be housebound, so be active while we can!
ReplyDeleteEven if it "isn't broke" he will try to fix it. Even if it is broke, I will often live with it. Lunch and a shopping errand today.
ReplyDeleteI know exactly what you mean. I retired in 2019 and have struggled with not feeling "productive". I have finally been able to accept the fact that on some days I will be busy and on some days I will not and THAT"S OKAY! I'm glad you are getting out and about and you have a wonderful partner to spend time with. How lucky you two are. xo
ReplyDelete👍
DeleteBe kind to yourself. As you wrote, you retired, moved, and then COVID - you are a high achiever for life changes in a short period of time.
ReplyDeleteThanks!
Delete7 years! Patience above! Good for you!
ReplyDelete😁
DeleteThe past 7 years have been quite a time warp. I feel like I am just now adjusting and sorting things back out to a reasonable facsimile of normal. It isn't helping that the news keeps flashing stories of the return to the 1930s... Ray and will be headed to Portland for the cherry blossoms in April, we have a tea ceremony planned for mom's 80th birthday.
ReplyDeleteSounds loverly!!! 🎎🫖🍵
ReplyDelete