25 July 2025

This Week's Flowers

Trader Joe's had some lovely mixed bouquets, and I got carried away. I bought two and recombined them--which turned out to be more work than expected... 


9 comments:

  1. Do you have a trick to make the fresh flowers last longer? They are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing more than changing the water, especially when it gets a little cloudy or off-color (this can be tricky on an opaque or colored glass vase), I also trim back the stems if they get soft or yellowish at the tips. I also make sure there are no leaves or other removable protrusions on the part of the stem that's in water; this is a breeding-ground for bacteria. I worked in a flower shop for a bit once, and the owners never supplied that packaged powdered life extender most flowers come with. In their opinion, it was ineffective. I've never done my own research on this, but as a result I don't use it. I should be more scientific about this--esp. given the fact that the owners were miserable people to work for.

      Delete
  2. Surely you could have squeezed a few more flowers into that container Brother Hamster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the bouquets were rapped quite tightly at the store and looked smaller, much smaller, than they actually were. I had to use the biggest vase we had.

      Delete
  3. I look forward to the autumn ones.

    ReplyDelete