I've been meaning to post this for a while, and am finally getting to it.
As you may perhaps know, I have a certain fascination with cosmology and astrophysics. There is much I simply can't get my head around, but it's fun to read about it and listen to it, e.g. https://www.youtube.com/@SabineHossenfelder. As a result, I now have 2 (count 'em 2!) theories about why we've never been visited by, or even seen evidence of, intelligent alien life. The second one is a bit morose, but at least displays my confidence in the intelligence of the cosmos as a whole.
theory 1: Despite decades of science fiction writing, faster than light travel really is impossible. Yeah, there is the whole warp idea, but no one's yet demonstrated it is possible to make one work in reality.
theory 2: The universe is clever enough to arrange things so that intelligent species die out--either from natural causes, cosmic disasters, or their own stupidity--before they are capable of interstellar travel. That would prevent all sorts of untidiness that would result from two intelligent species encountering one another.
Hey, I never claimed to be Einstein...

I think we too narrowly define intelligent life, based on an earth like model. Perhaps meteorites are really messengers, and we just don't understand how to read them?
ReplyDeleteOr weapons sent by hyper-wise beings who think the universe would be better off without us...
DeleteThrowing rocks at us.
DeleteEither makes more sense than aliens built the pyramids and Stone Henge.
ReplyDelete👌
DeleteFrau H is a dear; please do not feed her buns and things. One of my favorite of hers is her explanation why flat earthers aren't stupid.
ReplyDeleteShe's my kinda woman alright! 🥰
ReplyDeletePS: I believe that would Frau DOKTOR H... 🇩🇪🇩🇪🇩🇪
Delete