Last week, on the way to an IKEA run, we stopped at a village called Occoquan. It's an artists' colony type of place with little shops and restaurants, right on the banks of the Occoquan river, where it flows into the Potomac. Cute place, even though it was overcast and drizzling. One of it's curiosities is that I-95 (the main north-south expressway along the east coast of the US) literally goes over it. The river flows in a deep valley, and I-95 crosses the river on a tall bridge. So this sleepy little town sits below one of the busiest highways in the country. It bears revisiting in better weather.
It's amazing how you can find these quiet little towns tucked away in the most unexpected places, especially right under a massive highway like I-95. It's like the kind of place you'd stumble upon and then keep thinking about, hoping to go back when the weather's better. I love how you described it as a sleepy town sitting below one of the busiest highways.
ReplyDeleteI just put up a new post, feel free to check it out at www.melodyjacob.com.
How unusual that the town survives as sleepy and little. Is it chic and expensive, too? I hope not. It looks charming.
ReplyDeleteI love exploring little gems of places like this!
ReplyDeleteOoooh! Rainboats!
ReplyDeleteTee-hee! Most clever of you!
DeleteWill you go back and rent a kayak on a nice day?
ReplyDeleteBack again someday.
ReplyDeletewhat a name!
ReplyDeletepronounced aw-ku-kwahn
Delete