30 September 2025

Morning Visitor

Sweet little Norbert the opossum (don't call him a possum, he's very picky about that) decided to pay a visit to my desk this morning. Don't tell any of the other inanimate pets, but he's one of my very favorites.
FYI: The Virginia opossum (Didelphis virginiana), also known as the North American opossum, is a member of the opossum family found from southern Canada to northern Costa Rica, making it the northernmost marsupial in the world. Commonly referred to simply as the possum, it is a solitary nocturnal animal about the size of a domestic cat, and a successful opportunist. The Virginia opossum is the original animal named "opossum", a word which comes from Algonquian wapathemwa, meaning "white animal". Colloquially, the Virginia opossum is frequently just called a "possum". The term is applied more generally to any of the other marsupials of the families Didelphidae and Caenolestidae.  

5 comments:

  1. You have a lot of stuffed animals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of inanimate pets out there seeking adoption; they're masters at ferreting out (pardon the pun) a warm bed and free meals. 🐑🦃🦤🦩🐇🦫🦔

      Delete
  2. I never knew the origin of the word. Thanks for that. When I first glanced at the photo, I thought it was real. Oops. Don’t tell Norbert I said that! I KNOW he’s real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, he quite understands; that misspeak is quite common.

      Delete
  3. The endless fun of inanimate pets

    ReplyDelete