09 January 2025

Korean Instant Coffee

A few days before Christmas, I went to get a haircut at my local Korean owned and staffed barber shop. They do basically traditional men's haircuts, buy they do a good job and the atmosphere is friendly and jovial (did I mention it was also inexpensive?) As I paid my bill, my barber handed my several packets of Korean instant coffee tied with a bow, with the instructions "just add a little water, not too much"  My guess is it is a Korean custom for businesses to give little presents to their customers at Christmas. I thanked them, of course, but thought to myself "how odd". A couple days later, out of curiosity, I made some--using hot water to fill about half of my usual mug. Well, what a surprise. The little packet made a respectable cafĂ© au lait, full bodied and flavorful. There was some sort of creamer already mixed in the packet, but no sweetener. Nice. So if you ever see some Korean instant coffee packets at your local Asian grocery, pick some up and try it.  Who knew??? 


6 comments:

  1. Yes, who knew? I dislike instant coffee, but this sounds like it might be worth a try. A good mix of chemicals maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should go to H-Mart, the giant Korean market in Falls Church.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice little surprise gift! That's sweet.

    ReplyDelete