25 August 2025

On Memory

(I was going to write a post yesterday, but noted that my blog template had somehow gone a bit haywire. Blogger's settings were of no help; they've become quite useless these days, so I had to contact the Spirits--i.e., Google. The mystical oracles of all knowledge informed me that an unacceptable piece of code unknowingly posted in a post could cause this. So I deleted the offe3nding post and reposted it. VoilĂ ! Problem solved, but the process was so grueling I was left with no energy to write a new post. Fervent apologies.)

The following appeared in the blog of a friend who happens to by a psychiatrist--some of you will know him. I thought it worthy to repost here:  

Our brains are not hard drives, they are more like deletion devices. We have what neurologists call ‘episodic memory” viz. we organize memories into sequences that we use reference points tied to other happenings. My memory of when things happened up to 2005 is pretty good, because they happened in sequences of levels of schooling and where I lived. In 2005 I moved to Arizona, Since then I have been in the same house, with the same job day, in and day out. Even the vacations and trips have been kind of repetitious. As a consequences, the last twenty years are a blur, one long time period. This isn’t an attribute of age but an lack of remarkable experiences to mark memory. To remember what happened when I have to consult my journals.


No comments:

Post a Comment